HA. Took me a while to log in 'cause all the blogger.com login information is in Arabic. Bad assumption, blogger.com.
I've been in Alexandria for a week and a half now. I'm growing accustomed to the traffic, and the rubble, and having the sea a mere 3 minute walk away. School is more of a commitment than I was willing to let myself realize - we're in class for 6 hours a day (with substantial breaks, thankfully) and it takes at least a half an hour through Alex's rush hour (which isn't a specific hour, it's always) each way. So about 8 hours of each day are dedicated to school, and what's left of the day is dedicated to chatting, eating too much Egyptian food which has by now taken its toll on my belly (yep, it's hit me), and meandering the streets. This is a culture that truly comes alive at night, though it's not the time (off-season) or the desired climate (chilly!).
I'm happy to be here for the month, but I'm so excited to get out of this part of Egypt and see some sites! Alexandria seems to be an incredibly historical city with little attention to preservation. 13 million people need to get to work. We're heading to Sharm el-Sheikh (big modern beautiful tourist destination on the Red Sea) this weekend, Cairo next weekend, finish up the TEFL certification by the end of February. And from there.... it's changing daily. Beirut and Damascus seem to be my destinations for the month of March. And then Kyle will get here and I'll tour Egypt properly. Can't speak of that yet, there are too many fun things to plan in the meantime!
Can't believe I'm finally here.

1 comment:
I'm so happy / excited for you! It sounds amazing. I almost did a similar get-certified-to-teach-English-abroad program in Prague. And when I say "almost" I mean I spent a week looking at websites. But you're really doin' it! How long is the program?
Post a Comment